Monday, February 9, 2009

Mrs. Robinson's neighborhood, part 2

Okay, I can't get The Graduate out of my head. Pseudonymous mentioned the water imagery in her comment and now I am curious about that. The pool scenes are great. Did you know that The Bee Movie (animated Jerry Seinfeld) does a take on a pool scene from The Graduate? Very clever.

But what is all Mrs. Robinson's anger about? She is really, really angry. Does she love Ben? What was he to her? Why is Elaine interested in him after she knows he slept with her mother? That might be a deal breaker for me.

And the last scene on the bus: Are they sorry they ran away with each other?

Any and all thoughts are welcome!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Mrs. Robinson's anger is her expression of boredom. I thought Elaine was kind of a dummy, and that's why she doesn't care that he slept with her mother. Yeah, it would probably be a deal breaker for me, too. I mean, creepy. What do you do at Christmas time? There's always that elephant in the room, right?

My critiques don't run very deep about symbolism and what not.

Beth said...

I always saw Elaine and her mother in competition with each other. And in the end, the nice girl one. Just my interpretation from seeing the movie once when I was in high school (more than 20 years ago).