Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Ode to Darcie and Duran Duran


Two things happened recently to put in an 1980's frame of mind. This week The Bean had this great blast from the past post about a Duran Duran concert. The other thing is a phone conversation I recently had with one of my best friends from high school, Darcie, a.k.a. Mrs. Simon Le Bon. Darcie is very lucky that all my pictures from high school are still packed away in Connecticut, or I would be able to show the blog world how she had the exact same haircut as the one Simon is sporting here on the cover of Popcorn.

It was great to catch up with Darcie, something we only manage to do about once a year. But despite the lack of actual contact, I always feel a very close connection with Darcie. Maybe because I met my husband at her wedding, but I think it's more because she was one of the few people who really got me in high school. That's not to say I didn't have friends who loved me, friends I still hold dear. But Darcie understood me and loved me anyway. I could always be myself when I was with her--no small feat in high school.

Darcie started her own branding business (don't think cattle) a few years back. Now she works exclusively with one famous chef, hobnobbing with Hollywood types and hanging out in Green Rooms. And while she has been a single mom for a long time, wiping her fair share of noses and butts, I don't think our current lives remotely resemble each other. I will not be skiing in Aspen this year with any famous chef's families.

It was so great to catch up with Darcie and I am so, so proud of all her hard work. But I also giggle everytime I think of her and her Simon Le Bon haircut. Seriously, it was the exact same haircut.

6 comments:

cheatymoon said...

It's fun to catch up with the people we knew when.
Fun post, B.

creative kerfuffle said...

ohhh simon : ) one of my best friends in high school LOVED duran duran and also loved simon. i liked the dark haired one, nick i think?

Anonymous said...

OMG SIMON I LUV U!! We went to their fiftieth reunion tour (or whatever) a couple of years ago and I have this black t-shirt with velcro letters so you can spell out a message on your t-shirt (very, very, very cool shirt) and I spelled out KISS ME SIMON and wore it to the show. I'm pretty sure he never saw me, though. Because if he had he would DEFINITELY have kissed me. I'm almost sure of it.

He's still HAWT but the hair, sadly, is no longer RAWKIN like on the Popcorn cover.

By the way, what the hell is this Popcorn magazine? We had Teen Beat and Tiger Beat. Basically, all the Beats.

Pseudo said...

I have horrid pics of bad years from the 80's.

Beth said...

I miss the 80's. It was the only time in my life that my curls could be big and wild and I was the envy of my friends. Now, they do their best to not point and laugh.

Seriously, my nickname was Brillo.

And Simon hair is better than Flock of Seagulls hair. Any day.

Anonymous said...

I love you Beth!!! Ah...but I really really loved Simon. My entire room was covered in their posters...do you remember that?
xoxo Darcie