Monday, January 26, 2009

Career (Mis)Management Monday

Tomorrow is a big day for me, both professionally and as a mom. Professionally, I have reached the point where I feel competent enough in my freelance income generating ability to warrant sending littlest to school two days a week. This may not sound like a big deal, but trust me--it's HUGE. I have the income coming in to pay for her schooling and still help keep the family from teetering over the edge of financial ruin (barely). It feels pretty damn good.

As a mom, in eight years I have been away from my children rarely. There have been a few date nights, one school overnight trip when I was teaching and an afternoon of traded babysitting with a neighbor here and there. I don't say this to get my card punched in the Mommy Martyr Hall of Fame. It was quite deliberate on my part. I grew up with a mom who wasn't there for me, even when she was in the same room. I want to be there for my daughters and have probably gone a little too far in the other direction.

Tomorrow I will drop Littlest off and be child-free for seven hours. Ack! I will get tons of work done (after I cry my eyes out and throw-up). Wish me luck!

5 comments:

cheatymoon said...

Child-free is never a bad thing. They need their time out in the world as much as you need some time to yourself. It's not easy though, is it? I still rush home to be home in time for my son and he barely needs me around. Sigh.

Congratulations - it's a big deal for you!

creative kerfuffle said...

wow. anyone (especially now) who can make money freelancing wins high praise in my book. that is a HUGE thing. good for you. and yes, being child free (even if for a little while) is a good thing.

Pseudo said...

Congratualtions! That is huge.

Pseudo said...

I've got an award for you at my place.

bernthis said...

Mazel Tov, I'm really proud of you. Seriously, how great is that?